The Shed Count
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekly goals

3 posters

Go down

Weekly goals Empty Weekly goals

Post  Anthony Perez Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:49 pm

I would like to practice 2 1/2 - 3 hrs a day for 5 days out of the week. 10 hrs for the week would be fair , 12 hrs would be good and 15 hrs would be great. Anything over that would be awesome!
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Weekly goals Empty Think Long term.... (like Rocky Balboa would)

Post  Oscar Perez Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:04 am

12 hours a week x 50 weeks = 600 hours

15 hours a week x 50 weeks = 750 hours

two full weeks of vacation.

So whats your yearly goal?

you can even break it up into quarters (3 months) or months.

12 hours a week = 48 hours per month
12 hours a week = 144 per quarter

evaluate and reevaluate every month or quarter. maybe some months or quarters will be more or less busy (an example is summer months....)

maybe im full of shit.

Peace out!
Oscar Perez
Oscar Perez
Admin

Location : A planet where everyone does nothing but eat, sleep, shed and watch Dexter

Back to top Go down

Weekly goals Empty Re: Weekly goals

Post  justinvarnes Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

This is a great start, Anthony. One of the things that helped me get focused is to lay out specific goals to achieve. What are a handful of things you want to see significant improvement on? Why? What kind of player do you see yourself being after 600,700,800,900,1,000 hours?

To me, if you can pick something you suck at, and KNOW you need to improve on, make that one of your goals. So on Jan 1 2013 you can say, "Well, I finally feel like I can do THIS right (or better, or whatever.)"

Maybe it's tunes. You could set a goal of learning 48 new tunes - that's 4 a month.

Or it's to finally deal with some bassist you'd like to sound more like.

Or maybe it's to master thumb position.

Or perhaps it's to finally memorize all of Michael Anthony's bass parts. I almost typed "bass lines" but riding the low E for a whole song doesn't really qualify as a "line."

Whatever it is, tackle it like you tackle workouts. You have a routine, you have muscle groups that you want to work on, you have a plan. You can try to tackle everything at once (mass, cardio, flexibility, bulking up, leaning out) but its pretty damned hard to do ALL those things at once. But if you took a year and just focused on flexibility and leaning out your body fat, OR bulking up and improving cardio, you'd probably get better results.

And unlike Oscar, I KNOW I'm full of shit...but maybe something up there will help you organize your yearly plan.
justinvarnes
justinvarnes
Admin

https://theshedcount.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Perez Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:44 am

All very good advice, I do have some specific things im working on but that kinda changes once school starts in a couple of weeks. Id really like to get my hours up on a week to week basis. Once I can get some consistance happening I will make some bigger long term goals. On that note this week sucked for me and I didn't get anywhere near my goal. I kinda knew it would due to work and some things I need to get done before school starts.
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Post  Oscar Perez Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 pm

It's all good, that what this is for. Look under the weekly check in. the topic is WEEK 1.

Check that out and put in basically what your goals are for the week....

Good luck!
Oscar Perez
Oscar Perez
Admin

Location : A planet where everyone does nothing but eat, sleep, shed and watch Dexter

Back to top Go down

Weekly goals Empty My goals before school starts!

Post  Anthony Perez Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 am

My first big goal before school starts is to finish transcribing Ray Brown's solo on Tricotism. I also want to master my transcription of Jet Song. Im working alot on Ray Brown because he's going to be one of the focal points of my thesis. I also want to finish putting my Sandole 13th chord exercise to the Melodic Minor Modes. I'm putting it on finali and learning how to play through them pitz. Once I get that together I'll have to get it together with the bow. I'm also running all my warm up exercises and reviewing some Etudes as well as reviewing tunes I learned from my previous semesters. My goals are about to be altered once school starts!
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Post  Oscar Perez Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 am

I wonder which solo that is. like which recording....

All this stuff sounds good brother have at it!

Put in those hours, dont cheat yourself out of the time. Like im doing right now instead of shedding....

I want to put Donna Lee in 12 keys also.

O
Oscar Perez
Oscar Perez
Admin

Back to top Go down

Weekly goals Empty class is in session

Post  Anthony Perez Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:32 am

I had a similiar week this week to last. I still have to finish that transcription but I made good progress on the Sandole melodic minor. School starts this week and my first tune I started learning today is Off Minor.
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Weekly goals Empty My practice schedule

Post  Anthony Perez Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 am

My goal for practicing is to hit classical studies 4x a week and jazz studies 4x a week. Obviously if I do more that's great but this is my minimum goal. I have warm ups I go through in both catagories as well as scale and arpeggio Exersices. I have jazz songs and melodies I do for both. Classical really means bowing, yes I shed jazz material during classical as well as my classical Etudes. My jazz time is when I deal with specific improve studies as well as playing transcriptions. I also have ear training that I hit 3x a week , piano that I hit 3x a week and transcribing that I hit 3xs a week. I have everything mapped out so everything is spread out evenly over the week and works with my school/work schedule.
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Post  Oscar Perez Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 am

thats killin brother!!!
Oscar Perez
Oscar Perez
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down