The Shed Count
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down Days: plan for them

3 posters

Go down

Down Days: plan for them Empty Down Days: plan for them

Post  justinvarnes Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:29 pm

My 500 hour goal is based on 2 hours a day for 5 out of 7 days a week. Why? Because I won't practice 365 days straight. I wouldn't even WANT to practice that long with no days off. Your brain, your body - they can't take that much work without some down time. Everyone else's goal is 1,000 hours. That is even more hours to cram into 365 days. We need down days. You shouldn't exercise every day. Growth comes in your off time. Your period of "rest," although that's a misnomer, because our body is working and growing then. That is when progress is made. Practicing music is not that dissimilar.

Outside of needing time off, we all have lives. We have cars to take to the shop and kids to pick up and out of town trips. It's unrealistic to assume you're FINALLY gonna get that magical 365 days of uninterrupted peace.

So plan for it.

If you do, you'll enjoy your down time more. It will be rewarding. And when you are forced to miss a day, you'll have less pressure to "catch up" if you factored this in already. It's no fun to feel behind; to play "catch up" all the time.

So my advice is, when you are breaking down your hours, plan for the occasional off day. For me, it's 2 off days for every 7. A 5 day work week. I can use those days to get caught up if I need them, or use them when I see a full day of chaos coming.

Matt Rybicki used a rotating 4 days off/1 day off system. Find whatever works for you. But if you think that THIS is the year you're finally gonna not let life interfere, you might be setting yourself up to fail.
justinvarnes
justinvarnes
Admin

https://theshedcount.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Down Days: plan for them Empty Re: Down Days: plan for them

Post  Oscar Perez Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:09 pm

I agree. Im shooting for 20 hours per week (Monday to Friday ideally), so if i get to 24 thats great, but ultimately it breaks down to 20hrs per week x 50weeks. (2 weeks of vacation)

Let see what happens!!!
Oscar Perez
Oscar Perez
Admin

Location : A planet where everyone does nothing but eat, sleep, shed and watch Dexter

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Perez Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:41 am

Im going for 2 hours a day not including warm up. My warm up usually takes about a half hour depending on what i plan to practice. If im focusing on classical, warm up takes a little bit longer. 15 hours a week total would be kick ass and should produce significant improvement. I heard a phrase in a commercial not to long ago, i think it was a basketball commercial that really inspired me. It said practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
Anthony Perez
Anthony Perez

Back to top Go down

Post  justinvarnes Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah that's a great line. Check out our "Shed Threads." I think that's a good place to post your goals for the year and then as the year goes on you can update and modify your goals as needed.
justinvarnes
justinvarnes
Admin

https://theshedcount.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum